I have heard that hindsight is always 20/20. For those that do not know what this means here is a definition. “Hindsight is 20/20” is a phrase used after the fact; it is insight gained after something has happened that should have been obvious before it happened but the person was not aware of it although the “clues” were there.
This really began to bother me because it means that we were given the information that we needed PRIOR to something happening BUT we didn’t adhere to it. Most people are able to use these moments as teachable moments but why bang your head against the wall to figure out if it will hurt you or not (especially if you do not have to)?
I was telling a friend about this particular guy I was talking to in the past. I told her all about the dreams that I had about him; dreams that he was talking to other women at the same time as me (warning signs) and I told her about how I felt when I was around him (my spirit was always uneasy). Then I went on to tell her that we were no longer talking because come to find out he WAS talking to other women and he had his own selfish agenda with me. Her comment to all of this was, “well hindsight is always 20/20”. This was so true yet so painful to hear because all along I was given WARNING SIGNS about this guy but I IGNORED them ALL!
Why did I ignore them? Just like most of us do…I ignored them because they were not what I wanted to be true. I really liked this guy and my emotions were in too deep so I accused the devil for all of my negative dreams and uneasiness around him. Ha. Silly of me because there was nothing demonic about it but it had everything to do with God pointing certain things out to me and giving me warning signs ahead of time. He wanted to guard my heart and prevent me from wasting my time and going down the wrong road. He SHOWED me all of this BUT I ignored it!
So I asked myself, “why do we wait for our 20/20 hindsight to kick in in order to learn and understand from an event? Why do we not work on our 20/20 foresight instead?” 20/20 foresight to me is HEEDING to all of the WARNING signs that we are given and actually LISTENING to them and doing something about them.
I have heard so many people say, “I just didn’t know” or “I didn’t expect that from them”, or “I didn’t see it coming” etc… but I’m beginning to think that all of these are just lies! Sometimes we don’t “see” the warning signs because we are not sensitive enough to God’s voice and the many ways that He speaks to us or we miss the warning signs simply because we choose too. God spoke through my dreams and through my “belly” (that gut feeling that something just isn’t right). It was the Holy Spirit nudging me constantly to get me to see but my spirit filter was so dirty and clogged with my own desires that I was missing my cues from God to stay away!
I share this with you in hopes of helping you to clean out your ears, eyes, and heart so that you can see what it is that God wants to share with you.
If you are getting warning signs pertaining to a mate (especially when considering marriage) then LISTEN, if you are getting warning signs concerning making a sudden job or state move then LISTEN, if you are getting warning signs about hanging with a certain person or going to a certain place then LISTEN.
Not only does listening save you time, energy, and emotions, it also can save your life!!!!
Go get your eyes checked and tell Dr. Jesus, your Optometrist, that you want a prescription for 20/20 foresight and no longer will you depend solely on your 20/20 hindsight!
Here are a few things God can use to warn you-
- His word (which means you need to know what it says)
- The pastor (while sitting in a service the message is all in your business and hitting those particular areas)
- Holy Spirit (one way is by your gut feeling and/or lack of peace)
- Other believers (your parents, friends, co-worker, boss, church member, etc… tell you)
- Dreams & Visions (while you are sleep or awake)
- Things in the natural (i.e. area doesn’t look safe or they hide their phone often)
There could be other ways so it is up to you to be sensitive at all times to God’s gentle voice; in which ever form it may come in.
∆ Phone God: Thank you Daddy for clearing out my eyes and my ears so that I may hear you clearer in my life. Thank you for desiring to guard my heart in all that I do and I ask that you help me to be just as diligent in guarding my heart as you are. As I spend more time with you I know that the ways in which you speak to me will become clearer. Help me to set aside time for just you and I daily Lord. I love you. In Jesus name, Amen.
∆ Chew on this:
- “Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” -Proverbs 4:23
- “We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. 12 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness.14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.” – Hebrews 5: 11-14
- “My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry” – James 1:19
- “Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” – Isaiah 30:21
- “The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by. ”Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.” – I King 19:11-13
∆ Ponder on this:
- How has God been trying to get your attention in a particular situation?
- Have you ever had this experience before where all of the “evidence”/”information” was right in front of you but somehow you missed it?
- What are the advantages of listening to the warning signs and what are the disadvantages of ignoring the warning signs?
∆ Act on this:
- Be open and honest with yourself and with God about the things going on in your life.
- Get out of your feelings and be sure that you are making wise head decisions and not spur of the moment, emotional knee jerk reaction heart decisions.
- Become more consciously aware of how you make decisions. This week take note of the times you make decisions and write down whether each decision came from the head or the heart. By the end of the week tally it up and see what you get.
© Trillion Small 2012-2013 All Rights Reserved.